Vegan tofu scramble is a delicious and hearty breakfast made with seasonal vegetables and tofu. The soft tofu and crunchy vegetables make a great combination. If you are craving something savory and filling for breakfast, this recipe is just for you!
This vegan tofu scramble recipe is inspired from Indian bhurji recipe where egg or paneer is sautéed in a spicy masala mix. Bhurji is the Hindi word for a scramble dish. Typically in India, we make egg bhurji (which is also a very popular late-night street food) or paneer bhurji (a vegetarian version of egg bhurji made with cottage cheese). I find tofu is a great replacement (even better) for dairy and eggs in breakfast scramble recipe. Just make sure of using organic, non-GMO tofu. For the tofu scramble, I use firm tofu and crumble it into the masala right at the end.
The “cheat” spice in this recipe is the pav bhaji masala. Pav Bhaji masala is used a lot in many of Bombay’s street foods like tawa pulao and also anda bhurji (egg scramble).
- 2 tsp Olive oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 green chili finely chopped
- 1 tsp fresh ginger slivered
- 1 medium-size onion
- 1 cup mixed crunchy vegetables ex. bell peppers, spring onions, coriander leaves etc
- ½ medium tomato or 1 small
- 100 g firm tofu
- Salt to taste
- ½ tsp red pepper powder
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp pav bhaji masala optional but recommended
- 4-5 fresh coriander sprigs for garnish
- Chop the vegetables into tiny bits
- Heat oil in a skillet/ pan.
- Once the oil is hot, add cumin seeds, green chilies, and ginger.
- When the seeds start to crackle, add the onions. Sprinkle some salt and turmeric, mix well and let the onions sweat.
- Add the mixed vegetables and sauté for a minute.
- Add tomatoes and all the spices.
- Crumble the tofu gently with your fingers and add to the skillet. Mix well.
- Remove from heat and sprinkle some fresh coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with toasted sour-dough bread